- Advertisement -

Dead is former IGP Tafa Balogun


According to family sources who declined to disclose more information, Balogun, who was named IGP in March 2002, passed away on Thursday night.

The 21st Inspector General of Police, Tafa Balogun, was born in Ila-Orangun, Osun State, on August 8, 1947. He was a third-class assistant superintendent of police cadet (ASP).

- Advertisement -

Tafa served in several police commands across the federation and was promoted when it was time, at one point acting as the Principal Staff Officer (PSO) to former Inspector-General of Police Muhammadu Gambo, Deputy Commission of Police Edo State, and the first Commissioner of Police in Delta State. He was also CP in the states of Rivers and Abia.

Tafa, a fellow of Nigeria’s top military school, the National War College, later rose to the position of Assistant Inspector General of Police in Kano before being appointed the 21st Inspector General of Police on March 6, 2002.

In 2005, his infamous trial received international notice. Tafa Balogun was charged on April 4, 2005, at the Federal High Court in Abuja with stealing and laundering more than $100 million during his three years as Inspector General of Police.

- Advertisement -

He was charged with 70 offenses by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) under Nuhu Ribadu between the years of 2002 and 2004, while he served as the Inspector General of Police. He agreed to a plea deal with the judge in return for giving back most of the goods and cash.

He received a six-month prison term. According to Judge Binta Nyako, Balogun’s sentencing demonstrated that she was a first-time offender and had displayed remorse.

The court ordered him to pay N500,000 on each of the eight allegations against him, for a total of N4,000,000.

- Advertisement -

His trial was a dramatic mess. One of these incidents occurred on June 29, 2005, before the Abuja High Court when he passed out on his seat.

The former police chief was found guilty and given concurrent six-month sentences for all eight of the 56 counts that directly affected him after entering a guilty plea.

After serving his sentence—part of it at Abuja’s National Hospital—he was freed on February 9, 2006.

- Advertisement -


wt11 gif

- Advertisement -

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy